TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES MUNICIPAL SCHOOLS
TITLE OF JOB: School Nurse
QUALIFICATIONS: Registered Nurse License. Possess, or eligible to apply for valid/current New Mexico School Nurse license. AA or Bachelor’s Degree based upon a four-year curriculum in an accredited college, or a graduate of an accredited associate degree nursing program.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal(s)
JOB GOAL: To utilize those principles of health and education which are basic in working with the child in his/her total environment of home, school, and community, so that a state of optimum health may result.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Identify health problems that may interfere with learning through screening procedures, assessment and evaluation of students.
- Make appropriate referrals based on data obtained from assessment and screening procedures.
- Make home visits when the need arises.
- Maintain health and immunization records in accordance with regulations of State of New Mexico.
- Assist administration in arranging for emergency care and first aid for all students and employees.
- Implement policies and procedures regarding control of communicable diseases in accordance with regulations of the State of New Mexico.
- Authorize exclusion and readmission of students in connection with infections and contagious and nuisance diseases.
- Serve as consultant and resource person to staff, parents , and students in identifying community
- Advise teachers and consult with parents on health matters regarding assessments and screening results for student health defects.
- Participate in in-service, training programs, workshops, and continuing education.
- Other duties as assigned by Building Administrator.
The employee is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Board of Education’s policy.